Fred Trotter has a wrap up of the recent HIMSS CCHIT certification meeting on F/OSS. “Take away lessons:
- Under the current model it is difficult to have the cost and benefit of the certification evenly distributed.
- There is no way to easily ’share’ the certification
- There is no maintainable benefit to being the organization that sacrifices to get a certification for a particular FOSS codebase.
- It is not possible to prevent other organizations to certify a system that has already been certified.
- Proprietary ontologies, like CPT, are a problem for the distribution of FOSS EHR systems.